History of Our Building
In 1979, the City of Duluth, Minnesota held its Sieur du Lhut Tricentennial Celebration. Daniel Greysolon, Sieur du Lhut, the French diplomat-explorer for whom the City of Duluth was named, became the first European to arrive in this area in 1679. The log cabin that served as the event's headquarters was built by the Duluth Area Vocational Technical Institute's Forest Harvesting and Building Construction Programs. After the observance of this anniversary was over, this one-of-a-kind log building was dismantled, transported, and reassembled at its present location.
Over the years, three more rooms have been added to the original structure to allow for expansion. The main cabin however, with its log beams and wooden floors, continues to be an attraction for many visitors.